Tonight was taco night and luckily I had everything on hand to whip up a batch of guacamole. Every time I make guacamole at home, it reminds me that delicious food doesn’t have to be complicated. It’s amazing how scrumptious this can be with just 6 simple ingredients.
Guacamole is such a versatile food, and it’s something that never goes to waste if it’s in my refrigerator (or freezer!). Tonight we topped our tacos with it (side note: we used these store-bought grain-free tortillas, and they were ah-mazing), but there are so many other ways to use guacamole:
- Eat it as a snack with a side of vegetables or organic corn chips
- Use it as a topping on your chicken breast or burger
- Mix it with leafy greens as a salad dressing
- Spread it on a slice of sprouted grain bread
Not only is guacamole versatile, but it’s also very nutrient-dense. The star of the dish, the avocado, is so packed with nutrition you’ll never have to feel guilty about eating this guacamole. Avocados are loaded with healthy fats, specifically monounsaturated fatty acids, and other nutrients such as folate, potassium, vitamin K, C, and E. They also have beneficial fiber, antioxidants and have been shown to reduce cholesterol naturally. Pair the avocado with mineral-rich sea salt, anti-inflammatory garlic and onion and phytonutrient-rich cilantro, and we practically have a superfood on our hands!
It’s so easy to whip together, you literally toss the ingredients in a bowl…
… mash the avocados with a fork until you reach your desired consistency (I like mine chunky), mix until well combined, and you have your very own versatile superfood within minutes!
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and mash the avocados with a fork until you reach your desired consistency (I like mine chunky).
- Stir everything together until well combined.
- Serve and enjoy!