I realize Brussels sprouts may not be on top of your favorite vegetables list, but it might start appearing up there once you try these bacon balsamic Brussels sprouts. Sauteed bacon bits with butter, Brussels sprouts and balsamic glaze… I pretty much can’t have Brussels sprouts any other way now. The nutty Brussels sprouts combined with the smoky bacon, creamy butter and sweet balsamic glaze is like heaven on a plate! If I make this side dish on a weeknight, I usually chop the vegetables before work so that everything is ready to be tossed into the saute pan when I get home. It comes together rather quickly doing it this way.
Brussels sprouts are rich in a multitude of nutrients. They are an excellent source of vitamins, especially vitamin K and C, minerals, especially folate and manganese, and digestive-regulating fiber. They also contain beneficial antioxidants and even some protein. This well-rounded nutritional powerhouse is a welcomed addition to any plate!
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 1.5 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise (quartered if they are large)
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cheese of your choice for garnish (optional)
- Place the bacon in a large saute pan over medium heat and saute for approximately 3 minutes (until browned, but not crispy).
- Add in the onion and garlic and saute for an addition 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the butter into the pan just long enough for it to melt before adding the Brussels sprouts to the pan. Because, butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, lower the heat and saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer until it reduces by half (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer to a glass bowl to cool and thicken.
- Once the Brussels sprouts are done, drizzle the balsamic reduction over the Brussels sprouts and top with shredded cheese (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!